Revival (再上映 (リバイバル), Ribaiburu, lit. "Rerun") is an involuntary special phenomenon exclusive to Satoru that allows him to jump back in time in order to rescue someone from a fatal encounter within his proximity. The phenomenon follows the concept of the butterfly effect where, in chaos theory, small alterations in the past could drastically change future events.
Revival begins with a blue butterfly crossing Satoru's way, followed by him feeling a discomfort before being brought back in time one to five minutes prior to a forthcoming incident. This allows him to seek out the source of discomfort and remove it in order to prevent further complications. However, this solely relies on his experience, as the cause is often oblivious. The event enables him to prevent fatal incidents, hence the term "Revival". Empirically, Satoru's capable of responding to Revival, as it occurs involuntary and often at random times. Fujinuma described his experience as a deja vu.
- In the midst of traffic, Satoru notices a runaway truck. He quickly catches up to the vehicle and manages to alter its path, saving a boy's life, but ends up hospitalized after sustaining non-fatal injuries.
- Entering a building that has been marked to be torn down, Satoru and Airi discover the school bags of three kids. They manage to prevent one of the boys from falling into his death as he had tripped into a deep elevator shaft.
- At the market's parking lot, Satoru informs his mother to look for anything out of the ordinary. Having noticed the two in the distance, a mysterious man holding a child's hand leaves by himself soon after.
- After discovering his mother's death, Satoru attempts to track down the murderer, who leads him astray into an alleyway, before being cornered by police officers under the suspicion that he tried to flee the crime scene. Satoru persistently attempts to turn back time, which triggers a large-scale Revival, bringing him back 18 years in the past.
- Having failed to prevent murders that occurred in 1988, Satoru's ejected into the previously mentioned alleyway. Few days later, Airi restores Fujinuma's lost confidence, which later helps him to jump back in time again.